Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chai One On

Chai Mise'
One great thing about working in one of the most culturally diverse kitchens I have seen is the constant learning of authentic preparations. Today, I write about chai. I say authentic, and what I mean is, this is how the Indian cook I work with makes his chai at home. It's simple, and fantastic. I have been known to make a brew and am proud to say that I have gotten both the approval of the Indian and Pakistani cooks I deal with. This gives me an idea about global peace...
Chai Tea
Yield: 2 Cups
Ingredients:
500ml 2% Milk (Or a 1:1 ratio of Whole Milk and Water)
2Tbs Loose Leaf Earl Grey Black Tea
1 Tbs Chopped Ginger
8 Pods of Cardamon
Sugar tt
Method:
1) Steep everything, minus the sugar on med/low heat for 30 minutes.
2) Strain through a fine chinois. Season with the sugar. Serve.
WARNING! While this is a great recipe, always be prepared to hear a differing opinion of it's original ingredients. I have rarely seen more contentious debates in the kitchen (That are clean enough to repeat here) to what truly makes up an authentic chai. However, this recipe alone seems to have struck a medium for all to enjoy!
Though, the Pakistani Cook would love to have seen a Cinnamon Stick thrown in for good measure...
-Jerek

No comments:

Post a Comment