Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Eve 2009, 18 PAX, VIP, 18:00/ Recommend Mid-Course

Indulgence: 18 dishes for a party of 18.
Shucking Oysters with the man who introduced me to them in the first place. Grandpa.

Fun trick! When you have helpers, it's not always necessary for you to have to do the mundane jobs. In this case, I was all to happy to delegate my brother to mill 15 potatoes through a tiny ricer. Good man!

Dessert Spread

What it's all about.
Christmas Eve Menu
Thursday, December 24th, 2009
Starters
Seafood
Malpaque Oysters, Shrimp, Smoked Salmon, Lavash, Traditional Condiments
Antipasto
Prosciutto, Chobai Sausage, Grana Padano Parmesan, Oka, Artichoke Hearts, Egg Plant, Zucchini, Kalamata Olives, Sun dried Tomatoes, Anchovies
Autumn Salad
Mesclun Greens, Chevre, Toasted Chestnuts, Sun dried Cherries, Champagne Vinaigrette
East Coast Lobster Bisque
Lobster Medallions, Brioche Croutons
Mains
Spruce Tip Roasted Turkey
Grandma's Tourtiere
Truffled Mashed Potatoes
Brown Butter Biscuits
Heirloom Apple, Tarragon Sour-Dough Stuffing
Sage Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Maple Glazed Carrots
Our Own Cranberry Preserves
Dessert
Toblerone Chocolate Fondue
Vanilla Bean Genoise, Banana, Strawberry, Marshmallow
Apple Pie
Sugar Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Grandma's Treats
Sucre La Creme, Mint Nanaimo's, Rum Balls
I had a lot of fun working with my Grandmother on the 24th with this menu. Thanks, and gratitude go to my young brother and sister who showed up and happily got bossed around for 5 hours. It went out well with very few casualties. I will note that suicidal chestnuts not only explode when put on broil for too long a period (I am going to cap them off to 4 minutes for now on...), but will leave trace amounts of themselves for weeks afterwards to let you know that they are a messy proposition to consider when putting them on the menu.
Welcome to 2010! BOH will be posting on a weekly basis with a refreshing emphasis on the new and untested. I have been spoiled throughout the holiday season and have 5 new books added to my library to give me ideas and motivation going forward into the new year.
Best Wishes,
-Jerek




No comments:

Post a Comment