Saturday, February 27, 2010

Social discourse and food with a Godfather

The Spread,
The Almighty Bagel!
Salmon Salad, Smoked Salmon, Kalamata Olives, Cream Cheese, Egg Salad,
Tomato, Cucumber and my favorite; White Wine Pickled Herrings.
The Gracious Host; Mrs. Ida Fox
Awesome China, Earl Grey, and Dried Fruits were perfect for the purpose of our stay.

Howard Fox is my God Father. He met my father on their first day of Art School at York University way back even before stuff like the Internet existed.
A long time ago!
I had no idea people could remember that far back!!
For the past 18 years, he has lived along with his wife and two children on the outskirts of Tel Aviv, Israel, supporting himself as a successful and seriously talented artist.
About once a year, he will return to Canada to visit friends and family. This time I was lucky enough to get in three hours with him and his very hospitable mother Ida over tea and brunch.
My mother has a fond memory almost 30 years ago of going to dinner at the Fox's and Ida insisting she hold a beautiful, but 4 week old me (sporting a tiny Yamaka) so my mom could dig into her beef brisket.
It's top notch hospitality that creates memorable moments like that.
Thanks again Howard and Ida!

No comments:

Post a Comment